Suggestions for Parents
to Support Second Language Learning
- Inform yourself. Become knowledgeable about the program.
- Be supportive at all times. Your child's success in the program will be affected by your attitude.
- Encourage your child to speak the Second Language at home if he/she wants to, but do not force him/her to do so.
- Be supportive of the program and the teacher. Try to keep the lines of communication open.
- Try to take advantage of situations that increase your child's exposure to the language and its culture.
- Encourage your child to read in the Second Language.
- Encourage your child to watch television programs and listen to radio programs in the Second Language.
- Show your child how pleased you are with his/her progress. Be proud of your child's achievement.
- Emphasize your child's successes.
- Try to attend cultural events with your child.
The preceding was obtained from the River East School Division, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R2K 2P7, phone (107) 667-7130, fax (204) 661-5618
It is reprinted with permission from the New York State Association of Foreign Language Teachers.