October 30, 2020 – November 6, 2020
Dear Parents, Guardians, Staff and Students:
The generosity of the Niagara Falls community was in full force on Wednesday, October 28, 2020 at a Fall Harvest Festival at Abate Elementary. The event was a safe, socially distant, family, walk-through, grab and go, free farmers market packed with community giveaways. The Fall Harvest Festival started as a community impact project organized by Kyle-Lynn Tuttle, a Niagara University graduate student, who is student teaching at Abate.
Kyle-Lynn did a magnificent job organizing the annual community impact project despite the difficulties presented by COVID-19 this year. She said her motivation came from a desire to give Niagara Falls City School District students a safe, socially distant way to celebrate autumn and Halloween as usual school functions this time of year had to be cancelled due to the pandemic.
Thank you, Kyle-Lynn for giving our students and families a beautiful fall day to remember. Thank you as well to the generous donors who made the day so special:
- Niagara Falls Firefighters - free back packs with fire prevention information
- Niagara County Sheriff's Department and local farmers - 475 + pumpkins
- Becker Farms - free apples
- Interns from NU and UB - COVID information and masks
- TREC- disposable masks and drawstring backpacks
- Catholic Health - peanut butter and jelly
- Little Bakery 300 loaves of bread (Assemblyman Morinello)
- Frankie’s Donuts and Village Bake shop - prepackaged cookies and donuts
- City Councilman Kenny Tompkins and supporters: hats, gloves and scarves sets (650+ sets) and warm socks
- Pinnacle - free blankets and ear muffs
- Levesque Institute - Halloween Literacy activities and crayons
Have a safe week. As promised, I am keeping the lines of communication open. I will always tell you immediately if we become aware of any positive COVID-19 cases in our schools. Let’s stay strong and continue to work together.
Superintendent of Schools
Our own health care heroes... Sammy Sisler (aide) and Chanel Olszewski (nurse) are Niagara Falls High School graduates who are serving on the front lines, treating COVID-19 and other patients during this sad time. Thank you Sammy and Chanel and the many, many NFCSD graduates working in health care and in hospitals. We salute and thank you.