Henry J. Kalfas Elementary School Students are…Respectful, Responsible, Safe, and Bully FreeHenry J. Kalfas Elementary School employs a school-wide approach to discipline known as Positive Behavior Management (PBM). PBM moves the focus of our school’s disciplinary efforts toward the positive reinforcement of desired student behaviors. In addition to the traditional consequences for inappropriate behavior, we believe that positive behavior should be rewarded.
Our approach is based upon the following principles:
- Negative consequences do not change student attitudes
- Positive reinforcement produces long term change
- Negative consequences sometimes increase misbehavior
- Self-control can be taught and learned
- Incremental reinforcement allows students to observe and appreciate even small improvements in behavior
- Final compliance with adult authority must always be reinforced no matter how long it takes
This year Kalfas Elementary School will coordinate a school-wide incentive program to reward students observed displaying desirable behaviors. Thanks to our community business partners students observed being Respectful, Responsible, Safe, and Bully Free will receive Golden Tickets making them eligible for weekly prizes.