HOW TO GET SPENDING MONEY FOR A ONCE-IN-A-LIFETIME TRIP
GET A PLASTIC PIGGY BANK OR STORAGE CONTAINER FROM A $$ STORE!
Tape it shut so you cannot get into it. Write your name on it, and paste pictures of your destinations on it. You’ve just set your GOAL!
NOW, GET SAVING!
· Participate in EVERY fundraiser sponsored by the Foreign Language Club.
· Become a “Rent a Kid.” Mow lawns, baby-sit, walk dogs, rake leaves, shovel driveways, etc. There are lots of adults who will hire you to do these odd jobs. Ask your teachers, parents, and grandparents. Always tell them WHY you need to earn this money….if they don’t already know!
· Pay for everything with dollar bills, not change. The change you get back goes in the piggy bank. It adds up fast.
· Water/pop/juice costs $1 a bottle at school. If you buy one bottle every day, you’re spending $135 over the 27 weeks! (5 X 27)
· Love your Tim Horton’s or Dunkin’ Donuts coffee? The average cost is $1.75 for a medium. That’s $8.75 per week, or $236.25 over the 27 weeks!
· School lunches??! Brown bag it a couple days a week and save the cash! (Feed that piggy instead!)
· Love the movies? Go to the matinee. Put the money you would have spent going in the evening into your piggy bank.
· Do you have a birthday before we depart? Ask for cash, and put it in the piggy!
· Avoid socks and undies in your stocking. Ask Santa for something green instead……..CASH! Just think how much time you’ll save Mrs. Claus and the elves by keeping them away from the malls!
· Who needs chocolate and flowers for Valentines Day? Ask your honey for money!!
· When it’s time for the “Wearin’ ‘o’ the Green” you should have saved up enough GREEN to have lots of spending money for your trip!
By Barbara Rodgers