Hyde Park Elementary School Students are…
Respectful, Responsible, Safe, and Bully Free
Hyde Park Elementary School employs a school-wide approach to discipline known as Positive Behavior Management (PBM). PBM moves the focus of our school’s disciplinary efforts toward the positive reinforcement of desired student behaviors. In addition to the traditional consequences for inappropriate behavior, we believe that positive behavior should be rewarded.
Our approach is based upon the following principles:
- Negative consequences do not change student attitudes
- Positive reinforcement produces long term change
- Negative consequences sometimes increase misbehavior
- Self-control can be taught and learned
- Incremental reinforcement allows students to observe and appreciate even small improvements in behavior
- Final compliance with adult authority must always be reinforced no matter how long it takes
This year Hyde Park Elementary School will coordinate a school-wide incentive program to reward students observed displaying desirable behaviors. Thanks to our community business partners students observed being Respectful, Responsible, Safe, and Bully Free will receive a Rita Reward Ticket for a free ice cream or snack at the end of every week.
Also, our school is focusing on improving attendance as part of our Positive Behavior Program. We are encouraging students to attend school everyday and do their very best! We recognize classes who have perfect attendance (entire class present) for 17 days (spell out the words PERFECT ATTENDANCE) with a pizza party, ice cream party, popcorn and a movie, etc.